Skip to main content

"Tan's Tale" -Sallah Day Special

The clock is ticking, the time is drawing near Day break and night fall, the days pass by. I used to live in a whole yard in freedom, now am bound, tied down in this boredom. Now I understand why Gam pretended to be sick, its now so clear to me, he did want to leave the pen. He was fit just seconds before they appeared, it puzzled me to see him change immediately he saw the guests. Lucky Gam, he'll be glad he didn't leave, he acted like he already knew what things would be. Full of experience incomparable, offcourse, he's spent 2years here in Amadu's pen. I wish I knew, but how could I? When no one ever talked to me. I was all alone, all the while, hoping for someone to come end my mystery. Alas it came, i saw the duo moving around us, checking us out one after the other. They where men, looking for something, but I couldn't place what exactly it was that they needed. With so much expectation, I watched the scenes of how they sampled out all of my kinsmen, but none was fit for them, and there layed me, chewing my curd, God knows all the while I've been screaming ME! ME!! To my direction they turned, and I saw Amadu point his rod at me, showing gesticulations, describing how big i was. Ofcourse, I'm big ,I'm Tan the loner, why won't I be? When I all I do is eat and stare at the rest of my kin (speaking to myself). Closer they came, now Amadu is smilling, and I was almost doing the same too, it clicked in my head, I'll be leaving this pen. With who? I could tell, but to where? That I couldn't tell. Will I be coming back? I had no clues, and I turned around only to see everyone's face down. I signaled good bye, but none would reply, it was right there I knew there was something wrong with this buy. Joy filled a part of me as I basked in the euphoria of leaving the boring pen. In a twinkle of an eye, I was boxed inside an enclosure, and all I could see was a tiny ray of light filtering in from a tiny hole. Minutes later, I felt a halt, then I concluded within me, this must be my new home. All that filled my thought was the life of boredom at the pen, now am wishing and hoping its going to be a lot better here. The enclosure came open, and I saw broad day light. I shook my body, and the next I felt, was a rope gliding down my neck. Uncontrollably I yelled "What is this!" I've never felt a thing around my neck before all the while I was in Amadu's pen. Things got worse, the next was a pull, and before I knew it I was married to a tree, and there I lived for as long as I can remember. I want to go home! I scream each day, now I'll rather get bored and isolated watching others play, than continue here,where its much worse than oblivion. Just minutes after, it began to look like my dream was coming true, but it wasn't completely looking like what I wished for. 2 humans came approaching, and that was looking good, but with one I saw a shiny long and curved metal, this wasn't looking any way near good. My heart skipped fast, as my heels began to crumble, old images came back to me, reminding me of the last time I saw a metal of this sort. "It was my first day at the pen, one of us had attempted an escape, but unfortunately was hit by a car just as he made his way out of the pen. He was brought back lifeless, laid on the ground, and then that object was used to severe his head". ...I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm alive, I didn't cross the road, I wasn't hit by any car, I can move my hands and legs, look at me, look at meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I began to scream on top of my voice. But the men drew even more closer, it seemed to me that my loud scream was beginning to make them feel I needed attention. Now they drew even closer, but this time, the duo had taken to opposite directions. This was getting less interesting and the more confusing, as the man with the shiny metal had tucked it back into his garment. I found myself a good position, keeping an eye on the man with the metal. On several occasions within split seconds our eyeballs came in contact with each other. I couldn't pick what it was that he was thinking, but it was clear he could read exactly what I was thinking. RUN!!! Was the only word left in my head, and I took no more thoughts, now it was clear this episode will feature no good end. I took my first leap, and things were beginning to look bright again, FREEDOM!!! I yelled, stretching forward my fore limbs, before I knew what, something pulled me back in mid-air. It was the rope, goodness me! I totally forgot it was still there. "This is it! The story ends here" I told myself, now its even more complicated, one of them has now gotten hold of my horn. Without a waste of any more second, my fore and hind limbs were tied up, as I was left to watch the man with the metal scratch it back and forth rigorously against a big stone. Somebody heeeeeeeelpppp I screamed, but the place was all clear, helpppppp, heeeeellllpppp I continued to scream, but the man wouldn't even look at me, he was so engrossed with the stone and his metal. What a bad day for me, all was fast coming to an end. The man walked up to me, and placed his legs upon my horns, clutching them to the ground, as he went straight for my throat, rubbing it as if he cared. This is it, this is where the journey ends, I've fought a good fight, but sadly, I have to resign to fate. I felt the long blade opening up the skin around my neck, right there and then I closed my eyes waiting to take my last gasp of breathe. Then I felt a kick around my waist, and I opened my eyes and saw no one around, then I wiped my eyes and realized it was daybreak, it was Amadu's trademark kick which he gave every member of the herd at dawn. ...Alas! it was again time to join the herd for our usual morning walk to eat some cold green grass. Its The Wordsmith, Barka De Salah. Eid Mubarak! "If God 'll so much value the life of a man and replace it with a ram's, WE SHOULD EMMULATE THE SUPREME GOD AND VALUE THE LIVES OF ONE ANOTHER. Peace Upon Nigeria".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That (il)legal Tender.

"A huge number of humans have their Truth-Reserve/account either fat or static. We rarely withdraw nor spend from it, and will rather run life's transactions with that (il)legal tender, LIES". -TW™ Its not so amazing today how accepted, tolerated, and infact enjoyed (in the actual sense) lies are. Little wonder I chose to coin it as "(il)legal Tender". Illegal tender in every sense of it, yet legal tender judging by the widespread acceptance and employment of it. Why Account? Account owing to the fact that we know the truth, identify it, gather it, but yet fail to employ it, resulting to a mere build up (Account/Reserve) in our hearts, while refusing to spend/transact with it. Note: Truth spent yields even more dividends that truth stored. Why Lie? The "cover my/your arse" mentality/syndrome has taken the good-life over from us, I wonder why on God's earth we left our arses open in the first place, and who told us lies truly covers anyone'

"Meanings Make The Man, His Definitions Define Him"

"Its difficult, if not impossible to respond beyond your heart". How do I mean? "Your conceived, derived and/or imbibed idea of thing, defines your attitude towards it"-TW™ You've always wondered why you act the way you do, react the way you do, or respond to things the way you do. Hey, am not talking temperaments here, the boss (Tim Lahaye) already did, and he "took it to the cleaners'. Even in deceit, its a hard thing to behave/respond to a thing beyond what you think about it, know about it, and the values you have placed on it. Catching a golden mug falling directly towards your head for example is a scenario that captures correctly an aspect of my discourse. There exist a couple of options to this, and believe me, every man could respond differently to this situation. One of the responses to expect, which I know you know already is; Catching the mug, preventing it from hitting your head or even the fall. Another response would be; completely do

You Didn't Deserve To Die, I Didn't Deserve Your Life.

"Though you knew the world won't receive you, you still gave your life to try. Wonderful Jesus, how can I fathom you!" -TW™ What a burden you chose to carry, what a load of Sin. Without my burden, you rode on a donkey, with mine and the whole world's upon you, you decided walking on your feet was better. What manner of man are you? You saw us kill you, yet you allowed it, for you, anything will do, just as long as it'll please the Father. The bruises and the stripes alone was good enough, if it was just about the shedding of blood, you gave it in good quantity through the torture suffered in the hands of the Roman soldiers, you really did not need to die. This was more, this was great, in fact, "Greater love than this no man can give". You paid it all, you laid your life, you paid the ultimate price that I might live. Rejected and abandoned, yet all you saw was me. Disgraced, crucified and killed for a crime you had no hand in, yet all you saw w