Skip to main content

"I Will Not Go Back To The Job" -Sanusi Declares

[Read Text of 1st Interview After Suspension]
This is a transcribed version of the major parts of suspended Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi's first interview after his suspension. He spoke to CNBC Africa.

****Read the text below****.

On Whether He Was On Notice With Respect To His Suspension:
Well, I have been told by my office that a letter was received. As you know, I flew in this morning to Niamey along with other Governors of West African Central Banks to meet with the President of Niger and President of Ghana…Fortunately, I came in with my VP Sarah Alade whom I have been asked to hand over to. I have left the meeting to hand over to her. I have just met the Nigerian Ambassador to Niger who confirmed to me that the President asked him to inform me of the decision.

On Accusations Of "Various Acts of Financial Misconduct and Recklessness":
I don't know what they are talking about. When I come back, I will see what those allegations are…I don't think there is any issue raised that has not been raised before. We all know what this is about. This is about consequences for decisions I have taken… This is something that is long overdue. I am surprised it took them so long.

On Concerns For The Market:
Basically, my concern is for the safety of the market…I have had a wonderful time in service to my country. I would not want to see all of my work unraveled. No individual is worth it.
On whether his suspension is politically motivated: It is not for me to comment. I am not sure that erm… I think the answer to that is obvious…there is a legal question of whether the president has the authority to suspend the Governor and whether suspension is not removal. It will be helpful to establish the principles by court.
Even if I challenge it, I will not go back to the job. Even if I challenge it successfully, I will not go back to it. I think it will be in the interest of the institution for the courts to establish once and for all if the president has the powers to do this… If it is not challenged, the next Central Bank Governor cannot be independent with fear of being suspended by a politician. I do plan to have the courts confirm if indeed that authority exists and I will challenge it.

On His Legacy:
He pointed out Low inflation. Stable exchange rate. Reformed and well governed banking system, robust reserve, independent central bank, financial inclusion, systems reform…history will record this, nothing is going to change that. You can suspend an individual, you can't suspend the truth. And this is all about these concerns around oil revenues, around decadence in the oil sector and if this is going to bring about the $20 billion then that's fine.
Sanusi Lamido also emphasized the fact that he trusted the competence of his successor Sarah Alade and the other deputy governors to continue his good work. His grouse seemed to be on the legality of his suspension and the future independence of the CBN Governor. He insisted he'd go to the courts to contest the arbitrariness of his suspension, citing the fact that the President himself did not sign his suspension letter as it was signed by the Secretary to the Federal Government. He finished by saying he had no regrets or ill feelings towards anyone on the matter.

Mr Sanusi caused shockwaves in Nigeria when he alleged that $20bn (£12bn) in oil revenue had gone missing.

Nigeria's state oil firm has denied failing to account for the money, saying the claim was "unsubstantiated".

Mr Sanusi is widely respected after undertaking reforms to the banking sector since his appointment in 2009.

He was named central bank governor of the year for 2010 by Banker magazine.
To say that Lamido Sanusi has become a fly in the ointment for President Goodluck Jonathan would be something of an understatement.

His allegations threaten to expose high-level fraud in Nigeria's notoriously opaque and corrupt oil sector. He says over a 19-month period, more than $1bn was unaccounted for every month.

The controversy comes at a time when elections loom and some of the president's senior officials are being asked some very awkward questions.

Mr Sanusi's critics wonder about his own political ambitions and question whether he is using his job to harm President Jonathan's chances in 2015. But to many Nigerians it will appear that the president has chosen to suspend the whistleblower rather than focus on stopping fraud.

Efforts to tackle corruption rarely get anywhere in Nigeria. In 2007 Nuhu Ribadu was suspended as the head of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. As Nigeria's pidgin speakers would say: "To fight corruption. No be easy job o."

He told the BBC he would challenge his suspension in order to preserve the central bank's independence.

Earlier this month, Mr Sanusi told a senate committee that out of $67bn of oil sold between January 2012 and July 2013, $20bn had not been accounted for.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation said the allegations showed "little understanding of the technicalities of the oil industry".

Mr Sanusi is currently in Niger attending a meeting of top officials, which he has now left.

His deputy, Sarah Alade, who is travelling with him, will fill in until a new governor is appointed.

President Jonathan asked him to resign in December but Mr Sanusi refused, sources told the BBC Hausa service.

The president does not have the power to sack the central bank governor - only the National Assembly can do this.

Credits: Omojuwa.com, BBC world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That (il)legal Tender.

"A huge number of humans have their Truth-Reserve/account either fat or static. We rarely withdraw nor spend from it, and will rather run life's transactions with that (il)legal tender, LIES". -TW™ Its not so amazing today how accepted, tolerated, and infact enjoyed (in the actual sense) lies are. Little wonder I chose to coin it as "(il)legal Tender". Illegal tender in every sense of it, yet legal tender judging by the widespread acceptance and employment of it. Why Account? Account owing to the fact that we know the truth, identify it, gather it, but yet fail to employ it, resulting to a mere build up (Account/Reserve) in our hearts, while refusing to spend/transact with it. Note: Truth spent yields even more dividends that truth stored. Why Lie? The "cover my/your arse" mentality/syndrome has taken the good-life over from us, I wonder why on God's earth we left our arses open in the first place, and who told us lies truly covers anyone'

"Meanings Make The Man, His Definitions Define Him"

"Its difficult, if not impossible to respond beyond your heart". How do I mean? "Your conceived, derived and/or imbibed idea of thing, defines your attitude towards it"-TW™ You've always wondered why you act the way you do, react the way you do, or respond to things the way you do. Hey, am not talking temperaments here, the boss (Tim Lahaye) already did, and he "took it to the cleaners'. Even in deceit, its a hard thing to behave/respond to a thing beyond what you think about it, know about it, and the values you have placed on it. Catching a golden mug falling directly towards your head for example is a scenario that captures correctly an aspect of my discourse. There exist a couple of options to this, and believe me, every man could respond differently to this situation. One of the responses to expect, which I know you know already is; Catching the mug, preventing it from hitting your head or even the fall. Another response would be; completely do

You Didn't Deserve To Die, I Didn't Deserve Your Life.

"Though you knew the world won't receive you, you still gave your life to try. Wonderful Jesus, how can I fathom you!" -TW™ What a burden you chose to carry, what a load of Sin. Without my burden, you rode on a donkey, with mine and the whole world's upon you, you decided walking on your feet was better. What manner of man are you? You saw us kill you, yet you allowed it, for you, anything will do, just as long as it'll please the Father. The bruises and the stripes alone was good enough, if it was just about the shedding of blood, you gave it in good quantity through the torture suffered in the hands of the Roman soldiers, you really did not need to die. This was more, this was great, in fact, "Greater love than this no man can give". You paid it all, you laid your life, you paid the ultimate price that I might live. Rejected and abandoned, yet all you saw was me. Disgraced, crucified and killed for a crime you had no hand in, yet all you saw w